[Aqualist] silt/sand boundary

Paul Hesse phesse at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au
Wed May 21 13:34:27 EST 2003

I am interested in finding out which of the many size boundaries for silt
and sand grains is used by Australasian Quaternarists.

Australian soil scientists use 20 microns, US soil scientists 50 microns,
most sedimentologists 63 microns and engineers 75 microns.  Normally I
don't worry about such issues, but have found myself in conflict with
co-authors over such a simple issue.  It also becomes an issue in
describing soil field textures internationally.

I would be interested in all responses, even from those that may use
cutoffs different from those listed.

Paul

          Dr Paul Hesse

           Senior Lecturer in Physical Geography

           Department of Physical Geography
           Macquarie University, Sydney
           NSW 2109
           Australia
           Phone  (+61)  02-9850 8384  Fax. (+61) 02-9850 8420
           e-mail  phesse at laurel.ocs.mq.edu.au