[Aqualist] silt/sand boundary

mfischer at mail.usyd.edu.au mfischer at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue May 27 13:13:37 EST 2003

    There are some possible problems with the statement by Erlich
(not Erlich's fault!):

It is necessary to separate statistics into two categories:
useless and useful.  The rise of personal computers means
that people have generally forgotten the important fundamentals
that lie at the heart of experiments and statistics
(eg R. A. Fisher's work in the 1950's); there are too many papers where
a computer is used to do something that is useless.
The point of statistics has been forgotten: it provides
a way to make inferences about populations via samples,
and I haven't seen many papers where people have sampled the
entire population of sediments in a river bed.
The difficulty with sediment samples is that conventional
statistics does not handle samples which are made up
of % compositions.  Thus it is not possible to use conventional
statistics on a sediment composition to answer the question:
'When does the 95% confidence intervals for my sediment samples
fall within 1% of the true population?' (note that I haven't
had to use words such as mean or median here!).  The techniques examined in
the weltje paper appear to be the only techniques which can
actually be used to answer that question for a % composition.

A second point here is that other disciplines such a climatology,
ecology have profited from useful statistical analysis
(eg see von Storch and Zwiers.  1999.  Statistical analysis in climate Research)
These disciplines have also suffered from useless statistics!

Erlich's point is valid because it is about useless statistics,
but it is not about useful statistics.  It IS time that we started
teaching students useful statistics, because sedimentologists
take sediment samples, and not populations.

Cheers,

Dr Matt Fischer
School of Geosciences
University of Sydney