[Aqualist] Australasian INTIMATE project - launch at Geological Society of New Zealand Conf this December

Simon Haberle simon.haberle at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 16 14:50:48 EST 2003

Dear All,

I am forwarding this message to you on behalf of Rewi Newnham and James
Shulmeister.

______________________________________
Subject: Australasian INTIMATE project - launch at Geological Society of
New Zealand Conf this December

Dear all,
The Australasian INTIMATE project- first demonstration workshop.

The workshop is confirmed for the late morning and early afternoon of the
4th December. The provisional outline is as follows.

4th December
Morning : Guest presentations – precise titles will be confirmed shortly,
speakers and topics are as follows;

0. Introduction to the Australasian INTIMATE project – James Shulmeister (U
of Canterbury)

1. Matt McGlone (Landcare Research) : on constructing an event stratigraphy
from the existing pollen records

2. Phil Shane (U of Auckland) : on key tephra markers from the LGM to the
start of the Holocene

3. Maureen Marra (U of Canterbury) : on paleoenvironmental versus
paleoclimatic interpretation of beetle data

4. TBC : on the marine deglaciation record off NZ

Afternoon – Workshop session/s

Rewi Newnham has volunteered to produce a draft protocol for how our group
should operate - how the workshops should be structured; how targets are
set; how publications are handled. This will be presented as a discussion
document at the workshop. Other procedural topics to be discussed include
1. Is the annual Geol Soc meeting to be a fixture for Intimate in NZ? What
other upcoming or regular meetings could be used? 2. How do we link to
communities not yet incorporated such as ice core people. The Ozzie side is
definitely stronger on this as all the NZ work (I know of) is Holocene.

Science topics to be covered include 1) the delineation of the precise
timeframe for the project, 2) the selection of a standard radiocarbon
calibration approach so that inter-comparison between records is possible
3) adoption of a convention on the use of tephras 4) the identification of
key records and record types and key gaps in the records. Because blank
sheets are hard to work from the construction of a draft event stratigraphy
for Australasia.

N.B. Because the demonstration meeting is in NZ some of the topics (e.g.
focus on tephras) are NZ oriented. This does not imply that the overall
focus of the project will be NZ centric.

NB2 We need to have an idea of numbers for the session to decide on venue
size. If you think that you will attend, please respond to this email
saying so. If you already responded to the first email, ignore this bit.

Looking forward to seeing you in Dunedin.

Jamie Shulmeister
Senior Lecturer
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
New Zealand
fax +64-364 2769
work phone +64-3-3642762
Home phone +64-3-3511244

Dr Simon Haberle

President of the Australasian Quaternary Association
Fellow, Resource Management in Asia-Pacific Program
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200
Australia

tel:    +61 2 6125 3373