[Aqualist] Comment on Proposed Australasian INTIMATE project

Simon Haberle simon.haberle at anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 15:13:57 EST 2003

Message from Peter Kershaw, Secretary, INQUA Palaeoclimate Commission ....

Re: Proposed Australasian INTIMATE project - launch at Geological Society
of New Zealand Conference this December

I commend the New Zealanders for taking initiative in attempting to get a
regional INTIMATE project off the ground. However, I am a little concerned
that, despite the claim that the focus of the project will not
be NZ centric, it seems from the intentions of the proposed workshops that
either a general structure will be established essentially with little
Australian input or, as happened with PAGES, New Zealand will establish a
'mini transect' within the PEP2 transect. I suggest that, instead of
waiting 12 months for a meeting with Australians at the Australasian
Quaternary Association Conference by which time minds and projects will be
set in place, the New Zealanders (or a representative) bring along
suggestions for discussion at the Southern Connection Meeting in Cape Town
in January 2004. This may not only provide an appropriate venue for
Australian involvement, but also allow participation from those in other
parts of the Southern Hemisphere who might be encouraged to form groups
with comparable structures.

(Peter.Kershaw at arts.monash.edu.au)