[Aqualist] Preliminary notice for Australian climate workshop, June 27-28th

Chris Turney turney at uow.edu.au
Tue Mar 15 14:56:21 EST 2005

> Dear colleagues,
>
> We wish to provide preliminary notice of a workshop entitled
> 'Reconstructing past climates for future prediction: Integrating
> high-resolution palaeodata for meaningful prediction in the
> Australasian region' to be held at the Australian Academy of Sciences
> on June 27-28th of this year.
>
> The proposed 2-day workshop will bring together climatologists (palaeo
> and contemporary) and modellers working on a variety of different
> palaeoclimatic and historical datasets spanning the last 60,000 years
> to discuss their results within the context of past and future change
> in the region. The workshop will allow the presentation of the latest
> different palaeoclimatic datasets of relevance to the Australia and
> New Zealand region (from the ice, marine and terrestrial realms) and
> place the results in a global context. The workshop will provide an
> opportunity for the scientific community to discuss ways in which this
> data can be used more effectively to help us understand climate
> mechanisms for predicting future climate change and its variability on
> the millennial, centennial, decadal and annual timescales. The
> workshop will pave the way for new and robust methods for
> reconstructing past climatic changes in the Australasian region for
> comparison to other datasets from around the world
> (including the Northern Hemisphere ‘hockey stick’ curve). The workshop
> will identify records where the assembly of data will provide higher
> temporal and spatial resolution than have previously been available
> (or attempted), and the provision of data in a manner suitable for use
> in model validation. Participants who have attempted to calibrate
> palaeo data against existing instrumental climate records are keenly
> encouraged to attend.
>
> Confirmed speakers include Ed Cook (Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory),
> JP Steffenson (NorthGRIP, University of Copenhagen) and Mike Gagan
> (Australian National University).
>
> We are currently formalising the final programme and a web site will
> soon be available for registration. In the meantime, do not hesitate
> to contact me or any of the other members of the organising committee
> if you wish your name to be put on a distribution list with future
> details.
>
> With very best wishes,
>
> Chris Turney
> On behalf of the Organising Committee for 'Reconstructing past
> climates for future prediction: Integrating high-resolution palaeo
> data for meaningful prediction in the Australasian region’
>
> Organising Committee
>
> Dr Chris Turney (Convener), School of Earth and Environmental
> Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong (turney at uow.edu.au)
> Professor John Chappell, Research School of Earth Sciences, ANU,
> Canberra
> Professor Peter Kershaw, School of Geography and Environmental
> Science, Monash University, Melbourne
> [...]

*******

Dr. Chris Turney
President to the INQUA Sub-Commission for Tephrochronology and Volcanism
(SCOTAV)
Web page: http://www.gns.cri.nz/inquatephra/
Tephra extraction techniques virtual workshop:
http://www.qub.ac.uk/arcpal/Tephra/Tephratrace/Home.htm

Australian Research Council Queen Elizabeth II Fellow
University of Wollongong
Wollongong
NSW 2522
Australia

Home page: http://www.uow.edu.au/science/eesc/staff/cturney/ct.html
E-mail: turney at uow.edu.au
Office Tel.: +61 2 4221 3561
Lab. Tel.: +61 2 4221 5906
Fax.: +61 2 4221 4250

*******

Slartibartfast:  Science has achieved some wonderful things of course,
but I'd far rather be happy than right any day
Arthur Dent:  And are you?
Slartibartfast:  No.  Thats where it all falls down of course.
Arthur Dent:  Pity.  It sounded like quite a good lifestyle otherwise.

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams