[Aqualist] Quaternary Position in Geological Sciences at University of Canterbury, New Zealand

James Shulmeister james.shulmeister at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Sep 15 13:56:48 EST 2006

Dear all,

We are advertising for a new palaeontologist/biogeologist. The field of
Quaternary paleoecology and paleoclimatology is one of our primary
targets. Other fields such as geoarchaeology will be considered. I am
hoping for a strong field of Quaternary applicants as I would very much
like a colleague to build up Quaternary Science at Canty Geology.

Jamie Shulmeister

LECTURER IN BIOGEOLOGY/PALEONTOLOGY

Vacancy number:  A241-06J
Closing date: 1 November 2006

The Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Canterbury
invites applications for a Lecturer position in Biogeology/Paleontology.

Applicants should have a Ph.D. or equivalent in a biogeology,
paleontology or a related field, and are required to demonstrate a
strong research capability as well as evidence of a commitment to
excellent teaching. The appointee will be required to teach in the
general area of biogeology/paleontology at both undergraduate and
postgraduate levels, and will contribute to teaching in all aspects of
Earth history.  A commitment to field teaching is essential.

All areas of paleontology and biogeology expertise will be considered
and we are particularly interested in those who could contribute to our
existing research programmes in either Pacific Rim Tectonics (e.g. work
on Mesozoic or Paleozoic faunas and paleoecology with a strong interest
in regional geology) or, Quaternary Paleoenvironments and Paleoclimate
(with an emphasis on terrestrial or marine microfossils and/or
paleo-entymology).

The department maintains a micropaleontology laboratory and a pollen
reference collection. We have a paleo-entymology preparation facility
and host entymological software. The department maintains close links to
the Canterbury Museum which holds extensive macro-paleontological
collections. The department has a well-equipped research optical
microscope unit and has access to modern scanning electron microscopes
on-campus.

More information on our teaching and research programmes is available on
our website:http://www.geol.canterbury.ac.nz and further information can
be obtained from Acting Head of Department, Assoc Prof. Jarg Pettinga at
jarg.pettinga at canterbury.ac.nz.

For detailed information and to apply online visit
http://vacancies.canterbury.ac.nz

James Shulmeister PhD,
Associate Professor of Quaternary Geology,
Deputy HoD and Postgraduate Coordinator,
Dept. of Geological Sciences,
University of Canterbury,
New Zealand

ph: + 64 3 364 2762