[Aqualist] PhD project in geomorphology/Quaternary geology and population genetics

Duanne.White Duanne.White at canberra.edu.au
Thu May 7 11:03:52 AEST 2015

Do present or former fluvial characteristics influence the spatial pattern of genetic diversity in aquatic organisms?

We have an opening for a PhD project that aims to test the links between the geomorphic characteristics of present and past channel networks and the fine scale biodiversity in aquatic organisms. This project will focus on the Murray-Darling Basin, Lake Eyre Basin and Clarence River system.

The project would suit a candidate with strengths or interests in both geomorphology/Quaternary geology and population genetics. A background in modelling is preferred, while knowledge of genetic data, while helpful is not crucial.

The PhD project is part of a recently successfully granted ARC Linkage project, and will be supported by genetic (SNP; single nucleotide polymorphism) data via next-generation sequencing for multiple species including fishes, turtles and shrimps from catchments with a variety of fluvial geomorphic characteristics and histories.

For further information, or to apply, please contact me on the address below. The position is also currently advertised on PhDSeek:

http://www.phdseek.com/phds/1098/do-present-or-former-fluvial-characteristics-influence.html?s=latest

Duanne White
Assistant Professor of Earth Systems
Institute for Applied Ecology, Univeristy of Canberra
Moblie +61 429 868 083   Office +61 2 6201 2083