[Aqualist] A new seminar series hosted by the Palaeo Advancements on the East Coast (PAEC) group

Duanne.White Duanne.White at canberra.edu.au
Wed Aug 31 20:29:49 AEST 2016

Posted on behalf of Tim, Chris and co, as below. Please direct correspondence on the first seminar to tim.cohen at uow.edu.au

Announcing the first of a new seminar series hosted by the Palaeo Advancements on the East Coast (PAEC) group

Apologies for any cross-posting.

There is an extraordinary number of palaeo researchers in the wider Sydney region. With friends and colleagues at UNSW, Sydney, UTS, Macquarie, UoW, ANSTO and Newcastle, we are only a couple of hours travel from one another. There's some fantastic work happening in all these institutions and more. But although we have a thriving community we only seem to get together to learn about new work and bounce ideas over a drink at international meetings which are sadly all too infrequent. As a result we're trying a new initiative: the Palaeo Advancements on the East Coast (PAEC) seminar series. The idea is each of the institutions in the wider Sydney area will take turns in hosting two seminars every 2-3 months. So if you enjoy learning about exciting and innovative paleo research, fuelled by tea and coffee followed by a trip to the local pub and a cheap eat do please come and join us.

The first seminars will be hosted by Tim Cohen at the University of Wollongong. A flyer is attached but a summary is given below. Feel free to forward on to anyone who might be interested.
Date: Thursday, 8 September 2016
Time: Commencing 3 pm
Venue, Building 41.G03A (Map Library), University of Wollongong

Seminar 1 by Dr Helen McGregor (UoW): Volcanoes, oceans and climate: When did global warming begin?
Seminar 2 by Dr Pauline Treble (ANSTO): Ten years of monitoring Golgotha Cave to constrain stalagmite paleo-environmental archives from southwest Australia

This is a completely open event and we'd welcome anyone to attend. We're trying this in the wider Sydney area just because of critical mass but please do come along if you'd like to take part or just want to listen to something new. The talks by Helen and Pauline promise to be fascinating, perfect start to what we hope will be a regular series of events in the wider area.

Hope to see you there.

All the very best,

Chris Turney (UNSW)
Tim Cohen (UoW)
Sylvia Frisia (Newcastle)
Damian Gore (Macquarie)
Monika Markowska and Pauline Treble (ANSTO)
Dan Penny (Sydney)
Greg Skilbeck (UTS)