[Aqualist] FW: ICDP workshop Registration open from the 28th of April

Alexander Francke alexander.francke at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Mar 26 15:37:52 AEDT 2024

Correction – registration will be open on the 28th of March! (not April, apologies)

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all doing fine!!

Registration for the first ICDP Australia Workshop, held in Adelaide on the 12th and 13th of June 2024 are open from the 28th of March. Please follow this link to register and for more information:
 https://iodp.org.au/2024/03/26/icdp-australia-workshop/<https://iodp.org.au/2024/03/26/icdp-australia-workshop/>

Registration is free!

Registration will be via Whova, which gives you a great opportunity to connect (and see who’s attending) prior to the event.

As you might now, Australia will very soon join New Zealand and 21 other countries as a member of the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP<https://www.icdp-online.org/>)! This will connect Australian scientists to terrestrial drilling capability and logistical support as well as open new possibilities for local projects and international collaborations.

To launch this new land-based endeavour, ANZIC is working with the University of Adelaide to run a hybrid workshop on the 13th and14th of June 2024. This will be a chance to share with the ANZIC community the capabilities and opportunities provided by ICDP, and to provide a platform for discussions on future ICDP projects. ICDP Executive Director, Prof. Marco Bohnhoff, is planning to participate.

I am sure you are aware that ‘Environmental Change’ is one ICDP’s primary scientific challenges<https://www.icdp-online.org/about-icdp/motivation/>. This will provide us with outstanding opportunities to engage in ICDP projects overseas, but even more exciting, to start discussions around potential ICDP projects in Australia and/or New Zealand.

Any project ideas are welcome, and as I am sure you are well aware, ICDP projects are required to be at a globally significant scale. As a ‘working theme’, we currently aim to discuss the potential around ‘Cenozoic environmental and climate change – Australia’s journey from high to low latitudes’. This will require significant thoughts around feasible and promising sites for such an endeavour!

It would be a great opportunity to use this workshop to discuss the possibility and challenges of such large drilling campaigns in our backyard. The workshop will also be attended by members by the state geological surveys, which hopefully provides new opportunities of engagement.

Please also feel free share this email with anyone you might feel would be interested!

Cheers

Alex
[Image]

Dr Alexander Francke
Lecturer

Discipline of Earth Sciences,
School of Physics, Chemistry and Earth Sciences,
University of Adelaide
Adelaide
5005 South Australia
Australia

phone: +61 8 8313 0894<tel:+61883130894>
mail: alexander.francke at adelaide.edu.au<mailto:alexander.francke at adelaide.edu.au>
www: https://researchers.adelaide.edu.au/profile/alexander.francke

Australian University Provider Number PRV12105
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M