[Easttimorstudies] La Trobe University Winter School on East Timor

Australia-East Timor Association aetamel at aetamel.org
Tue May 23 20:30:51 EST 2006

We have received information about the following course via the Friends of
Same (Same District in Timor-Leste) fos-announce mailing list.
http://friendsofsame.org/

My name is Dr Ralph Newmark from the History program and Institute of Latin
American Studies at La Trobe University. This Winter I will be running my
history subject:

"LIBERDADE: THE HISTORY OF EAST TIMOR
and the Portuguese Speaking World Through Music and Food"

at La Trobe University's City Campus. The subject is open to the general
public and students alike and I thought your members may be interested in
attending. The subject looks at the history of East Timor and the Portuguese
Empire in an effort to understand the problems that the new nation faces. It
would truly appeal to anybody who is interested in understanding East Timor
in its historical context. I have placed the full ad below if you would be
kind enough to send this email out on your membership list.
Regards
Dr Ralph Newmark
Fellow, Institute of Latin American Studies (ILAS)
Co-Editor, JILAS~Journal of Iberian and Latin American Studies
Victorian Regional Representative,
Association of Iberian and Latin American Studies of Australasia
(AILASA)
Convenor, ILAS Summer and Winter Schools
President, Latin American Studies Chapter, La Trobe University Alumni
Association
History Program
La Trobe University
Melbourne,
Victoria, 3086
Australia
Ph.  (03) 9479-1142
Fax. (03) 9479-1942
Email: R.Newmark at latrobe.edu.au

LA TROBE UNIVERSITY
                    INSTITUTE OF LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES (ILAS)
WINTER  SCHOOL  2006
June -July 2006 [between 1st and 2nd Semesters]

LIBERDADE:
THE HISTORY OF EAST TIMOR
and the Portuguese Speaking World Through Music and Food

(Coordinator: Dr Ralph Newmark)
The new nation of East Timor is highly relevant to Australia. As popular
culture is a powerful tool for historical analysis, this subject uses music
and food to explore political, economic, social and cultural themes in the
history of EAST TIMOR as well as other former Portuguese colonies including
Brazil, Cape Verde Islands, Guinea-Bissau, Angola, Mozambique, Goa, Ceylon,
Indonesia, Malacca, and Macao.

Times: 5 x 4 hour sessions, 1-5pm.

Dates: Saturdays, June 17, 24 and July 1, 8, 15,  2006

Credit:
These subjects may be taken for interest or 10 points credit each on
application.

Fees:
$330 (incl GST) for Students and Unwaged
$385 (incl GST) Non-students

Location:
La Trobe University City Campus  215 Franklin St,  Melbourne, Victoria,
Australia (opposite Victoria Market)

     CONTACT ILAS AT LA TROBE FOR ENROLMENT DETAILS
PHONE: 9479-1142 or email: R.Newmark at latrobe.edu.au

Australia-East Timor Association (AETA)
PO Box 93
FITZROY VIC 3065