[TimorLesteStudies] Registration now open: Democratic Governance in Timor-Leste conference, Charles Darwin University, 7-8 February 2008

Steven Farram Steven.Farram at cdu.edu.au
Mon Jan 14 15:18:48 EST 2008

Dear All,

As many of you may already know Charles Darwin University will host an
international conference, entitled Democratic Governance in Timor Leste:

Reconciling the Local and the National, on 7 and 8 February, 2008.
Information about the conference and website address can be found below.
We have had trouble with the online registration form, but this is now
available and working on our website. We will confirm your registration
by email as soon as we can. Registration is free, but is required for
catering and logistical purposes. The conference is open to all, so
please feel free to pass on this information to anyone who may be
interested.

We do still have a limited number of spots vacant for presentations, so
if you would like to present a paper, please send me an abstract as soon
as possible for consideration by the organising committee.

I look forward to seeing you in Darwin in February.

Regards

Steve

Dr Steven Farram
Research Associate
School of Creative Arts and Humanities
Faculty of Law, Business and Arts
Charles Darwin University
Darwin, Northern Territory
Australia

Telephone: (08) 8946 6865
Facsimile: (08) 8946 6540
Email: steven.farram at cdu.edu.au

http://www.cdu.edu.au/timorlesteconference/

Charles Darwin University, in conjunction with The Australian National
University and the Timor Institute of Development Studies, will host an
international conference entitled Democratic Governance in Timor Leste:
Reconciling the Local and the National on 7 and 8 February, 2008.

This conference follows the successful one-day symposium of November
2006 and the subsequent book, The Crisis in Timor-Leste: Understanding
the Past, Imagining the Future.

The 2008 conference will focus on how the process of 'nation building'
might be envisaged given the international, national and local
expectations that press upon the Timor Leste Government and parliament.
The aim is to ask speakers to examine critically the emerging relations
between the various levels of social, institutional and organisational
practice that confront the politicians and 'civil society' during this
critical phase of the country's development. What space currently exists
for the genuine expression and achievement of the citizens' aspirations?
How might the situation be improved?

The conference will be divided into four, half-day panels each led by a
keynote speaker who will address specific aspects of the dynamic
relations between central state and local governance systems in a new
nation.