[TimorLesteStudies] Are no Timor-Leste writers writing?

Charles Scheiner cscheiner at igc.org
Fri Jun 6 11:52:54 EST 2008

Friends,

As I review the plethora of announcements of recent publications
about Timor-Leste announced, I'm struck that none of them are written
by Timor-Leste citizens or residents.  Most of them are, I believe,
written by people who have spent very little, if any, time here in
the last few years.  Although I can't access most of the papers, I
wonder how much their authors know about what's happening in this
country now, except as seen through the eyes of other foreign
academics with little local contact with Timorese people -- it's very
rare to see a non-government Timorese source cited by a foreign academic.

Please encourage Timorese writers -- academics and others -- to
write, circulate writings by Timorese people to this list, and use
Timorese sources to inform your own knowledge. Imagine how Australia
would be perceived if almost everything the wider world knew about
the lucky country was filtered through the minds of Indonesians or Americans!

Thanks,
Charlie

Charles Scheiner
La'o Hamutuk (The Timor-Leste Institute for Development Monitoring
and Analysis)
P.O. Box 340, Dili, Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Telephone:  +670-3325013 or +670-734-0965 mobile
email: cscheiner at igc.org    website:
http://www.laohamutuk.org    skype: cscheiner