[TimorLesteStudies] Looking for interview partners

Hanja Eurich hanjaeurich at web.de
Tue Apr 7 13:29:07 EST 2009

Dear list members,

I am a German PhD student working on the East Timor conflict. The
research topic is until now formulated very broadly, dealing with
communication strategies in peacebuilding activities - all within the
frame of the UN missions in East Timor. Main focus are not PR activities
but communication strategies that target the civil society. The
hypothesis is based on the conflict transformation theory as developed
by Lederach, Miall and co and also on the results achieved by Ashutosh
Varshney who formulated the importance of a well-established civil
society and good communications in order to prevent violence. Therefore,
the relationship between the UN and the population (on the different
levels) is of interest, matters of reconciliation (CAVR and other
aspects), relationship building (including the ignorance of East
Timorese culture by the UN, language barriers, participation,
capacity-building, the re-integration of formerly displaced people, the
integration of cultural patterns etc.).
UNDP and other agencies have a clear understanding of the value of local
knowledge, seeing the population not only as passive receivers of
delivered goods and services but as an active part in designing e.g.
development processes etc. For the peacebuilding activities this was of
little interest especially in the beginnings of the UN missions in ET.
Therefore, I am currently seeking to find out what kind of communication
strategies pointing at the civil society were there, if they were
successful, and what the UN could have done better in this regard.

A major empirical part of the thesis are supposed to be expert
interviews on this topic. Therefore, I would like to ask you whether you
had any recommendations for me whom I could address for the expert
"outside" perspective as well as East Timorese?
Interviews outside Australia/Europe would be via Skype, telephone or email.

I would be happy to hear from you!

Best wishes,
Hanja

Hanja Eurich