[TimorLesteStudies] Book chapter: An integrated approach to tourism planning in a developing nation : a case study from Beloi (Timor-Leste)

Bu Wilson bu.wilson at anu.edu.au
Tue Mar 15 21:14:40 EST 2011

Dutra, Leo XC, Haworth, Robert, & Taboada, Manuela B. (2011) An integrated approach to tourism planning in a developing nation : a case study from Beloi (Timor-Leste). In: Dredge, Diane & Jenkins, John (Eds.) Stories of Practice : Tourism Policy and Planning. Ashgate. (In Press)

Abstract
 In  this chapter we present a case study set in Beloi, a fishing village  located on Ataúro Island, 30 km across the sea from Díli, capital of  Timor-Leste (East-Timor). We explore the tension between tourism  development, food security and marine conservation in a developing  country context. In order to better understand the relationships between  the social, ecological and economic issues that arise in tourism  planning we use an approach and associated methodology based on  storytelling, complexity theory and concept mapping. Through testing  scenarios with this methodology we hope to evaluate which trade-offs are  acceptable to local people in return for the hoped-for economic boost  from increased tourist visitation and associated developments.
http://www.ashgate.com/default.aspx?page=637&calcTitle=1&title_id=9672&edition_id=12769

Dr Bu V.E. Wilson
T: Australia +61  0  407 087 086
T: Timor-Leste + 670 744 0011