[TimorLesteStudies] Job Vacancy: Team Leader, Seeds of Life 3
bu.wilson at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 18 11:39:50 EST 2011
Job Vacancy: Team Leader, Seeds of Life 3
Seeds of Life in East Timor
Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, East Timor
Location: Based in Dili with travel to the districts.
Duration: 3 years with possible extension of two years
Commencement date: 2 May, 2011
Closing date for applications: 15 April, 2011
Remuneration: A competitive package will be offered
Description of the organisation:
Seeds of Life (SoL) is a program within the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries (MAF) in East Timor (Timor Leste). The third phase of Seeds of Life (SoL III), 2011-2016, aims to improve food security in East Timor through increased productivity of food crops. Funding for the program is provided collaboratively by the Government of East Timor (GoTL) and the Government of Australia. Australian funding is provided through the Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) and the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) and is managed by ACIAR. The Centre for Legumes in Mediterranean Agriculture (CLIMA) within The University of Western Australia (UWA) coordinates the Australian funded activities.
SoL III has a team consisting of more than 60 professional Timorese staff plus 9 international advisors. The Team Leader will be responsible for the team of advisors and a total budget of AUD25 million over five years.
· Establish a strong working relationship with the Director General of MAF and the Divisional Directors involved in implementation of SOL III.
· Provide strategic and operational leadership to the Program, ensuring it is implemented in accordance with the intention of the Program Design Document and Annual Plans.
· Ensure the overall coherence and quality of program implementation.
· Collaborate with stakeholders in the sector and establish effective working relationships with bilateral and multilateral donors and non-government organisations.
· Manage, guide and mentor international advisers and national staff in the planning and implementation of activities.
· Lead and coordinate the implementation of activities designed to strengthen MAF’s capacity to manage the national seed system.
· Lead the development and implementation of an institutional change and capacity building agenda, ensuring that capacity improvements are sustainable.
· Work closely with senior MAF officials and international advisers to develop, implement and monitor a Transition Plan detailing the greater use of MAF systems and progressive handover of key program functions.
· Manage program reporting requirements, human and financial resources of the Program in accordance with contractual requirements and policies of ACIAR and MAF/GoTL.
· Represent the Program on behalf of AusAID, ACIAR and UWA in all dealings with GoTL and outside parties.
Qualifications & Experience:
· A post-graduate degree in a relevant field – preferably agronomy or rural development.
· At least 10 year’s experience working in international development, with experience in international agricultural research for development highly desirable.
· Understanding of the research and development processes and issues involved in identifying improved varieties of staple foodcrops and establishing systems for improving access to seed for farmers.
· Highly developed inter-personal skills including the ability to work with a range of stakeholders in multi-cultural settings and ability to work effectively as part of a Team.
· Fluency in English and excellent written and oral communication and liaison skills.
· Demonstrated experience in the management and delivery of development projects.
· Proficiency in Bahasa Indonesian, Tetun or Portuguese.
· Work experience in East Timor and/or Southeast Asia.
Interested candidates can submit a short covering letter, CV, names of three referees and a document addressing the required skills and experience electronically to Dr Harry Nesbitt, Adjunct Professor, University of Western Australia (h.nesbit at bigpond.net.au). Further enquiries can be addressed to Professor William Erskine, tel. (+61 8) 6488 1903 (+61 8) 6488 1903 For further information on the SOL program see http://www.seedsoflifetimor.org/
Dr Bu V.E. Wilson
T: Australia +61 0 407 087 086
T: Timor-Leste + 670 744 0011
E: buvewilson at gmail.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Easttimorstudies