[TimorLesteStudies] Research Literature project in Dili

Michael Leach mleach at swin.edu.au
Tue Oct 9 18:45:49 EST 2012

________________________________
From: sara ten brinke [sarabrinke at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 9 October 2012 4:35 PM
To: Michael Leach
Subject: Re: Literature project in Dili

Dear researchers of Timor Leste Studies,
I am writing you from Dili, more specifically from the Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies (IPCS) of the National University of Timor Leste to make you acquainted with a project we are setting up in order to make the result of research that has been conducted in Timor Leste available for people in Timor Leste. Students and staff in the university (but actually people in general) have very little access to and consequently knowledge about the literature that is produced about their country. The IPCS wants to contribute a step in the direction of changing this by creating a library collection of materials about Timor Leste.
As a researcher myself I can imagine that you have already considered ways to let your research be meaningful in Timor Leste itself, and hopefully you have found your ways. However, I think that the infrastructure and the social capital that the IPCS has provide a nice opportunity for researchers to return their research to the place of its ‘origin’, where it will be read by people eager to learn about their own country.
As we can imagine that it is complicated to send hardcopies of material we are setting up both a digital and a hardcopy library, so both hardcopies and PDF files are very welcome!
In the attachment I send you an explanation about the project and of the IPCS in general.
If you need any further information I will be happy to provide you with answers.
I will be very happy to hear from you!
Best regards,
Sara ten Brinke