[TimorLesteStudies] new report on Timor-Leste's amphibians and reptiles

Hinrich Kaiser chalcopis at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 16 13:29:51 AEST 2015

Just published:
O'Shea M, Sanchez C, Kathriner A, Mecke S, Lopes Carvalho V, Varela Ribeiro A, Afranio Soares Z, Lemos de Araujo L, Kaiser H. 2015. Herpetological diversity of Timor-Leste: updates and a review of species distributions. Asian Herpetological Research 6(2): 73–131
Abstract: We report the results of five herpetological surveys during 2011–2013 that included visits to all districts of Timor-Leste (Aileu, Ainaro, Baucau, Bobonaro, Dili, Covalima, Ermera, Lautém, Liquiça, Manatuto, Manufahi, Viqueque) except the Oecusse exclave. Our fieldwork culminated in the discovery of one putative new frog species (genus Kaloula), at least five putative new lizard species (genera Cyrtodactylus, Cryptoblepharus, and Sphenomorphus), and two putative new snake species (genera Stegonotus and Indotyphlops). In addition, we present new distribution records of amphibians and reptiles for 11 of the country’s 12 contiguous districts, along with additional natural history data. Results from our surveys increase the number of amphibian and reptiles known to occur in Timor-Leste from 22 species before our surveys began to over 60, including over 20 as yet undescribed species.

It is available for download at http://www.markoshea.info/downloads/oshea_et_al_2015_timor_2nd_update.pdf.Other reports of our work are available at http://www.markoshea.info/timor.php#reports.
Regards,
Hinrich Kaiser