[Herdsa] [HERDSA]:News on Wed 17th Sept 2008

Roger Landbeck landbeck at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 17 11:09:46 EST 2008

Dear List Members

The Sept issue of HERDSA News should be distributed later this week. Watch for news and pictures of the Rotorua conference and the new Philosophers Column.

This week we have:

* Notices of a forthcoming Teaching and Learning Forum and a Symposium.
* Positions vacant at Deakin University and the Asia Institute of 	Technology.
* New web site on assessment, learning and teaching in higher education.
* Two online journals in teaching and learning.

Teaching and Learning Forum 2009 29-30 January 2009 Curtin University of Technology

On behalf of the Western Australian Universities, Curtin University of Technology invites you to submit a paper or presentation to the 18th annual Teaching and Learning Forum.

The theme for the 2009 Forum is teaching and learning for global graduates.
Sub-themes include: Graduate employability in a global world; Preparing graduates for global citizenship; and Managing these sometimes competing agendas in day-to-day teaching contexts such as large classes, mixed student ability and engagement, traditional and virtual environments, meeting professional accreditation requirements as well as universities' learning outcomes

This year's Forum is particularly aimed at providing university teaching staff with networking opportunities with colleagues with similar aspirations and issues and practical teaching tips and tools. Early career, casual, sessional and part-time staff are particularly encouraged to attend. In addition, at this year's Forum, Curtin's Office of Teaching and Learning will be launching their new peer-reviewed Journal of Teaching and Learning for Graduate Employability. All refereed papers submitted to the conference will be considered for publication in the first edition of this journal, due for publication during 2009.

You may submit a:

* Research Paper to the refereeing process (up to 4000 words)
* Professional Practice Paper to the refereeing process (up to 4000 words) on teaching practices, professional development and/or showcases of innovations in teaching and learning
* Paper that is non-refereed and not for publication. An abstract of 300 words must provide sufficient detail to assist delegates in making their selections.
* Proposal for a Workshop. A two-page proposal

Key dates

*  Full papers to be submitted 24 October 2008
*  Abstracts for non-refereed papers to be submitted 18 November 2008
*  Advice of acceptance of abstracts & proposals 28 November 2008
*  Advice of acceptance of refereed papers 28 November 2008
*  Final date for early bird registration 12 January 2009

 Further details available at http://lsn.curtin.edu.au/tlf2009/index.html

Call for papers!

Disciplining innovation:
New learning & teaching in media & cultural studies

Department of Critical & Cultural Studies, Macquarie University
Friday November 21, 2008

Keynote speaker: Prof. Meaghan Morris, Lingnan University

As disciplines heavily invested in making sense of the contemporary world, media and cultural studies are constantly engaging with new examples, new technologies, new political contexts and even new theoretical paradigms.  Neither media nor cultural studies, as relatively recent interdisciplines, have a canonical set of texts or all-conquering theoretical heroes or classic methodologies.  What we teach and how we teach shifts, in part, along with the evolving experiences and enthusiasms of our students and changes in the cultural landscape.

The progressive political ethos of many working in this field makes many of us sympathetic to pedagogical innovations that promise to shake up existing practices, hierarchies and conventions.  Media and cultural studies seem to be natural bedfellows to those who want university teachers to reflect on, research and transform cultures of teaching in the academy.   Many of us have taken up the opportunities and rewards offered by universities in their recent acknowledgement that academics are not just scholars and writers, but also teachers.

However, the new offers threats as well as opportunities to our disciplines.  Innovative pedagogies and educational technologies don’t always present the best opportunities for learning.  Much of what constitutes engaging teaching takes place at a micro-political level, the tone and tempo of everyday interchanges in encounters between learners, and between learners and teachers.  These relationships and practices are hard to document, turn into grant applications or incorporate into promotion bids.  In a sector in the thrall of audit culture, what counts as good teaching can become what it is possible to document rather than what actually takes place in the lives of students.

   In this colloquium we want to make a space to talk about innovative ways of learning and teaching in media and cultural studies in a way that acknowledges these tensions and conflicts around “new pedagogies”. We want to hear about curriculum innovations that address how we can best teach media and cultural studies in a changing world: a world of environmental crisis; globalisation; continuing demands for social justice; rapidly changing communications technologies and practices.  As part of our discussion of the principles and practicalities of innovative teaching in our field we want to frame our considerations with other questions:

	Is there a space in contemporary universities for innovative teaching beyond the horizon of what Robins and Webster in Times of the Technoculture call “instrumental progressivism”?
	How do we avoid being drawn into the hyperbolic claims of newness we use in our own learning grant applications – and continue to acknowledge the role of collaboration in developing innovative curricula?
	How can we use educational technologies without falling prey to utopianism or technological determinism?
	Can the “soft” money of learning and teaching initiatives and pilots be used to compensate for the long-term under-funding of Australian higher education?
	How do we recognise and reward excellence in teaching practices that are not new?
	How do we connect our educational innovations to our interest in social justice?

Deadline for abstracts: October 6, 2008

Please send your abstract or direct enquiries to: Dr Nicole Matthews Nicole.matthews at scmp.mq.edu.au

POSITIONS VACANT

1) School of Education, Deakin University, Australia

The School of Education is one of four Schools in the newly formed Faculty of Arts and Education and is entering an exciting growth period with a new Head of School. The School is a leading provider of primary and secondary teacher education, early childhood educator preparation, and adult, vocational and applied learning. It also offers a range of innovative and flexible postgraduate and higher degree by research programs.  Courses are offered to on-campus students at Burwood (Melbourne), Waurn Ponds (Geelong) and Warrnambool, and to off-campus students throughout Australia and internationally. The School has a vibrant research culture and is involved in a number of ARC funded projects. Collaborative and team-based research programs are fostered through research groups and the School hosts a Deakin University Research Priority Area (RPA) - Educational Futures and Innovation (EFI). As the School enters this exciting new growth stage, we offer the following opportunities:

Associate Professors/ Senior Lecturers (Multiple positions)
We are seeking academics with strong profiles to provide teaching, research and service leadership in:
·         Education Studies (Burwood or Geelong)
·         TESOL/ LOTE (Burwood)

Senior Lecturers/ Lecturers/ Associate Lecturers (Multiple positions)
We are seeking academics with strong profiles to build our teaching, research and service capacity in:
·         Adult, Vocational and Applied Learning (Geelong)
·         Early Childhood Education (Burwood)
·         Education Studies (Burwood or Geelong)
·         Health and Physical Education (Burwood)
·         Studies of Humanities, Societies and Environments (Burwood)
·         Language and Literacy Education (Burwood)
·         Mathematics Education (Burwood and Warrnambool)
·         Science Education (Burwood)
·         Arts Education (Warrnambool)

Applicants should have a teaching qualification and must possess a relevant Doctorate or substantial progress towards completion. The ability to work across areas would be a distinct advantage. The positions are full-time and part-time and continuing, subject to satisfactory completion of a probationary period.

For information about the School visit http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/education/

Applications Close: 13 October 2008
Enquiries: Professor Diane Mayer, Head of School
Phone: +61 3 92446068 or within Australia (03) 92446068
Email: diane.mayer at deakin.edu.au

HOW TO APPLY
For position descriptions, further details and to apply contact Monika Loving - 03 52 272654 (+61 3 52 272654 from outside Australia) or  email monika.loving at deakin.edu.au - or visit the University website:  http://www.deakin.edu.au/hr/employment/academic.php

2) Director, Center for Learning Innovation and Quality,

Asian Institute of Technology

The newly founded Center for Learning Innovation and Quality (CLIQ) at the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT) in Bangkok, Thailand is seeking a Director who will provide vision and leadership for a comprehensive program of faculty development at a multicultural international postgraduate institute.  The center will provide quality assurance and capacity building services for AIT faculty members, for doctoral students, and for other universities in the region through outreach activities.  It will help to expand the repertoire of teaching approaches and strategies, advance the scholarship of teaching, and promote a climate of collegiality that inspires, nurtures and rewards faculty who engage in efforts to improve student learning.  The Director reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

About AIT

AIT is an autonomous, non-profit, international post-graduate institute offering Master?s and Doctorate degrees, diploma and certificate programs in engineering, technology, management, environment, and development.  AIT currently enrolls over 2,000 students from many countries across Asia and beyond. Teaching faculty, researchers and students from more than 40 countries form a unique international community on the Institute's beautifully landscaped campus, situated 42 km north of Bangkok, Thailand.

Duties and Responsibilities

Providing leadership across the Institute in teaching innovation, professional standards, academic professional development, and the effective use of learning technologies.

Supporting academic quality assurance programs including peer teaching review, academic program review, and program accreditation.

Supporting curriculum development, particularly in professional degree programs.

Consulting with individual faculty about strategies to improve teaching and learning and enhance their classroom effectiveness.

Planning, coordinating and assessing a broad program of activities that will help inspire faculty to expand their scholarship of teaching, enhance educational effectiveness and improve student learning.

Consulting with faculty, deans, and university administrators to identify faculty professional development interests and needs that specifically support effectiveness in student learning.

Coordinating special initiatives and programs across campus aimed at enhancing teaching and student learning.

Managing the Center's resources and creating an annual budget and assessment plan for the Center's programs.

Furthering the regional mission of AIT and seeking outside resources through involvement in sponsored projects and consulting.

Qualifications

Earned doctorate

Interest in and familiarity with student learning outcome assessment.

Familiarity with quality assurance issues in teaching and learning and their relation to accreditation.

Demonstrated leadership ability in collaborative efforts to support faculty growth in teaching and scholarship

Ability to work with highly diverse faculty and students.

Familiarity with theory and practice of pedagogy in a culturally diverse setting.

Familiarity with technologies to support student learning, particularly distance learning.

Skills in the planning, organization and monitoring of projects, including the formulation and monitoring of budgets.

Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.

Ability to successfully author proposals to secure external funding.

Anticipated Starting Date:  January 2009 or earlier

Application Procedure

Applicants are asked to submit the following:

1. A letter of interest highlighting the candidate's qualifications for the position and summarizing the candidate's philosophy and approach to working with faculty to foster excellence in student learning.

2. A current curriculum vitae.

3. The names, titles, email address, and telephone numbers of three references.

Please submit applications by email to: Vice President for Academic Affairs, Asian Institute of Technology, PO Box 4, Klong Luang, Pathumthani 12120.  Email: vpaa at ait.ac.th.

For further information about AIT, visit the Institute website: www.ait.asia.

Review of applications will begin on October 17, 2008 and the position will remain open until filled.

Website on assessment, learning and teaching in higher education.

Some of you will have met Phil Race at the Rotorua conference. Phil is
Visiting Professor: Assessment, Learning and Teaching and National Teaching Fellow and SFHEA, 2007 at Leeds Metropolitan University. He has a new website, details below:

www.phil-race.co.uk

ONLINE JOURNALS IN TEACHING & LEARNING

It is with great pleasure that we announce that the Special Edition: Assessment meeting the demands of practice, Volume 5 Issue 1 of the Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice, is now available online at http://jutlp.uow.edu.au/

The guest editors are Dr Geraldine Lefoe (University of Wollongong) and Professor David Boud (University of Technology, Sydney).

To the authors, a special thank you for your patience during the unavoidable delay in publishing this issue.
Many thanks also to the reviewers of the papers.

As we have sufficient submissions for the next (late 2008) issue and a number of papers already awaiting review for potential inclusion during 2009, we are not issuing a call for more papers at this time.

With very best wishes,

Carole Evans
Production Assistant – JUTLP
CEDIR
University of Wollongong  NSW  2522
Australia
Email JUTLP at uow.edu.au
2) Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal

Published by the Nursing Faculty Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Canada

Go to http://www.kwantlen.ca/academicgrowth/TD/

Thanks to Dr. Balbir Kaur Gurm for letting us know about this journal.

Roger Landbeck
List Moderator