Microbee computer

Owen Hill owenh@met.crc.org.au
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:54:50 +1000

It's fascinating to hear still more about the Microbee. As Ash says it
was released in 1982!

For the record Jim Rowe did not design the Microbee although he did join
the company for a short time around 1986. Jim did design EDUC 8 (1979 or
so) and legend has it that Jim's computer was probably the first
hobby-built PC in the world! It was published in Electronics Australia
just prior to the MITS Altair article appeared in Popular Electronics
the US. The editors of Popular Electronics did later admit, reluctantly,
that EA had published the first  home PC design.

Ash is being a little humble too - in fact he was one of the real
pioneers of the industry! His Wildcards series of books of software for
the Microbee was very popular (and virtually the true Microbee believers
bible!). Ash and his partners had discovered the business opportunity
for 3rd party publication around PCs. One has only to look at the shelf
space on Computers/Software allocated in Bookstores to see how big this
market has grown!

Lastly if anyone cares to search the WWW you will find the Swedes still
have a Microbee Home page (The ROM Based Microbee 32K was sold
extensively throughout the Swedish Schools 1982 to 1987 and attracted a
similar following to Australia). Not only did these guys knock off
Wildcards you will now see the range of Microbee multimedia Wintel-based
computers (marketed under the SAME logo!).

Regards

Owen Hill