AOL Jack Davies National Press Club Address
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 13:52:29 +1000
Some comments from here at the National Press Club. Mr. Jack Davies,
president of America On-line International.
Please note that these were recorded very quickly during the talk here at
the National Press Club today. There may be errors and omissions:
Some points from the talk:
* AOL has a broader vision than just the Internet,
* Want on-line to be socially beneficial,
* Not about technology, but about people.
* bringing interactive medium to the mass market.
* AOL US service comparable in size to some cable companies.
* Provides a social forum on-line.
* Place where people go to have fun.
* Trading floor for stock quotes.
* On-line market place for products such as cars
* Will be providing an on-line photo album
* Challenge is to create the same sort of on-line communities in other
countries as in USA.
* Should have a powerful and positive social impact.
* Will work with local community and companies.
* Will provide global access for Australian merchants
* Provide forums for advocacy and support groups, such as those for breast
* Government over-regulation on censorship could have a cilling effect on
the on-line industry. Industry can achieve a balanced approach.
* Focusing on expanding the market, rather than taking market share from
Overall it was a very different talk to that from an Australian company
head. The details of product features, market size and profitability were in
there, but in the background. Social values and community benefit were
The sceptical view would be that AOL is emphasizing social values until it
gets a dominant position in the Australian market. However, it sounded a
sincere talk and is refreshing to at least have a senior business figure
talk about these issues. It is unfortunate we don't here this from
Australian business and political leaders.
I asked if AOL was going to look at using Australian technology in their
products. The answer was positive. So you have a better web mouse trap,
contact AOL. ;-)
Tom Worthington http://www.acslink.net.au/~tomw PO Box 13
Immediate Past President Belconnen ACT 2617
Australian Computer Society email@example.com
IO98, 7 Nov, Canberra: http://www.acs.org.au/president/1998/past/io98/