Australia Post decides to cease KeyPOST

Tom Worthington tom.worthington@tomw.net.au
Thu, 01 Apr 1999 21:41:48 +1000

>From Keypost 10:40 1/04/99 +1000, but not an April Fools day joke, I suspect:

>Australia Post has decided to cease its KeyPOST(tm) operations concerning
>the generation of private keys and certificates from 1 August 1999.
>Unfortunately, the service has not met expectations and its growth and take
>up rate have been less than what we expected.
>
>I would like to thank you for your support and interest in the service, but
>it has become increasingly clear that the service is not commercially
>viable.
>
>You will be offered a full refund of the licence fee paid by you in respect
>of your current licence period.  Alternatively, we are attempting to arrange
>for another Certification Authority to take over KeyPOST's operations. If
>you agree to this, you can continue your licence with us, which will then be
>transferred to another certification authority (if commercial arrangements
>can be agreed).  If not, you will still be entitled to receive your refund.
>

>There are two immediate steps required of Australia Post to cease KeyPOST's
>operations:
>
>1.	the Certificate Practice Statement (CPS) will be amended to allow
>for a partial cessation of services as KeyPOST will continue to operate but
>in a limited role, to authenticate those people applying for private keys
>and certificates for other certification authorities; and
>
>2.	once the CPS is amended (which requires one months notice), we
>intend to give 90 days notice of the cessation of its operations concerning
>the generation of private keys and certificates, which is expected to take
>effect on 1 August 1999. That is, Australia Post will send notification to
>you after the CPS changes are effective, formally advising you of the
>intended cessation of services and offering a refund for your valid
>certificate.
>
>If you have any queries in relation to this matter, please do not hesitate
>to contact Stephen Walter on 9204-7135.  I enclose Notice of Variation to
>clause 8.2 of the Certification Practice Statement which shall apply on and
>from 1 May 1999.  This variation has also been sent to you electronically
>and has been posted on our website.

BACKGROUND:

* "Getting a KeyPOST Digital Certificate Part 1 - Applying Wed, 19 Aug 1998
08:12:33 +1000: http://www.anu.edu.au/mail-archives/link/link9808/0252.html

* Getting a KeyPOST Digital Certificate - Part 3 - The Disk, Wed, 16 Sep
1998 08:16:26 +1000: http://www.anu.edu.au/mail-archives/link/link9809/0272.html

* Electronic Commerce: Net Benefit for Australia?, Proceedings of the 1998
Information Industry Outlook Conference, 7 November 1998, ISBN 0 909925 72
0: http://www.acs.org.au/president/1998/past/io98/io98prgs.htm

* "Senator Alston must direct NOIE to implement PKAF, or risk the failure of
e-commerce in Australia." from Report from the 1998 Information Industry
Outlook Conference, 18 November 1998:
http://www.acs.org.au/president/1998/past/io98/ecomau.htm#conclusion

Tom Worthington     tom.worthington@tomw.net.au   http://www.tomw.net.au
Immediate Past President, Australian Computer Society
Director, Internet Society of Australia    PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Net Traveller - On-line Preparation of a Book: http://www.tomw.net.au/nt