[LINK] Betinh Communications Prize

Bruce Morrison brucem@c2o.org
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 22:13:08 +1100 (EST)

                Announcing the 1st APC "Betinho" Communications Prize
                    to recognize socially meaningful use of ICTs

Since 1990, Association for Progressive Communications (APC) has been working
with NGOs, activists, and social movements to harness information and
communication technologies (ICTs) in ways that match their mission and mandate.
APC is joined by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC, Canada)
in an effort to recognize and to document outstanding examples of how the
Internet is being used to make a real difference.

To celebrate APC's 10th anniversary, we're launching the Betinho Prize -- to
commemorate the inspirational life and work of Herbet de Souza (Betinho), a
visionary Brazilian social activist and exemplary communicator. Betinho spent
his life tackling inequity affecting street children, senior citizens and
landless peasants, ultimately addressing the structural roots of Brazilian
poverty. In 1981, Betinho founded the Brazilian Institute of Social and
Economic Analysis (IBASE), which embraced new technologies an
d gave rise to one of APC's founding member networks. Betinho's work affected
the path of APC's work for a more democratic information society. He died of
AIDS in 1997.

. How to Nominate an Initiative .
The $7500 US prize is open to non-profit organisations, community-based groups,
coalitions, working groups or social movements anywhere in the world that have
successfully used ICTs as an essential ingredient in their development work.

Nominations will be judged by our international jury according to these
criteria:

- Significant and specific development achievements, especially in the face of
limited resources and difficult circumstances.
- Creative use of people's energy and skills.
- Potential to teach and inspire others.

This award is not limited to the "best web site". We'll consider any
combination of Internet tools - e-mail, mailing list, WWW, database - any ICT
application, as long as it has been part of an innovative initiative to use
these technologies to contribute to local or global development.

We will be accepting nominations for the Prize until January 31, 2000.
Detailed instructions and a nomination form are available from
http://www.apc.org/english/betinho

The stories of 12 finalists will be profiled on the Betinho prize site, and the
winner will be announced in May 2000.

                                           *   *   *

 -
c2o
 - Community Communications Online                - Bruce Morrison
 - PO Box 304                                     - firefly@c2o.org
 - Richmond 3121                                  - http://www.c2o.org