[LINK] More Bad Web design
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 10:04:31 +1000
> > Visit http://www.greaterunion.com.au
Garry Brennan wrote:
> Actually, you have raised an interesting point . . . how come a site, which
> the web design puritans loathe, gets to be so phenomenally successful?
> Whether we like it or not, the users are voting with their eyeballs . . .
> and Greater Union loves that.
Heh, they were running ads for a charity I work for, so I shouldn't
complain too much, but...
> I think we have to admit that the site is a big success.
Maybe, but consider the following:
* lots of people want to see films
* other film chain web sites also have problems
can just bookmark e.g.
to skip the stuff at the beginning]
* ergo the popularity of the GU web site is to some extent independent
of its quality - it is its prize content that's getting attraction
* and it doesn't hurt that they run heaps of other media advertising for
their web site, either
In contrast, if I made (say) my book reviews - http://dannyreviews.com/
- look and work anything like the GU site then my traffic would start to
drop off rapidly. No one is going to wait minutes to download unknown
content, whereas "session times for X at cinema Y" is sufficiently
well-defined content, which users are pretty much guaranteed to find if
they persevere long enough, that they will put up with shit. That doesn't
make the shit (ie, making people spend extra minutes finding stuff,