[LINK] eGroups has 538,105 moderators

Robin Whittle rw@firstpr.com.au
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:56:08 +1100

Danny Yee wrote:

> But who moderates the moderators list? <grin>

It is a riotous free-for-all!

My comment on 2.5 gig routers or data links or whatever was based on
this traceroute:

     s11-1-0.br1.SFO1.gblx.net
 pos2-3-155M.cr1.SFO1.gblx.net
pos9-0-2488M.cr1.SNV2.gblx.net
pos0-0-2488m.hr5.snv2.gblx.net
               www.egroups.com

Regarding advertising:

> Seems like a steep price to pay to me.  Lots of places will host
> lists without advertising for very nominal fees.  I get a list free
> with my web site.

I didn't establish the list there - someone else did and wanted to pass
it on to me.  There are banner ads on the website and each email begins
with something like:

iFriends Live Fetish VideoChat  Search 1000s of Fetish vidchat rooms.
Itís like CU-SeeMe on Steroids Ö NetMeeting with an attitude.
Live.  Real people, real chat, real time. Not just chat... VideoChat!
http://no-doubt-personalised-URL-to-fine-tune-their-targeting

It always seems to be the same ad - so I don't see it after a while.  It
is for an egroups service, so it seems they don't yet have any paying
advertisers yet for the spankophile demographic.  No-one has complained
about it - but it is not my preference.

> > They have automatic systems to handle bouncing email to list members
> > and to suspend the problem addresses after a while.
>
> Using VERP, I imagine.  EZMLM seems like one of the most reliable
> at doing this, but it requires you to be running qmail.  I think
> for most purposes I'd go with Mailman running on top of Postfix...
> But let's not get technical.

Lets!

egroups.com uses qmail.  I haven't sussed their web server or OS yet.

After a few searches I find that VERP means "Variable Envelope Return
Paths" - an approach for figuring out which addresses are bouncing:

   http://www.qmail.org/koobera/www/proto/verp.txt

I am running Postfix here on my home/office server and if I was going to
run any more mailing lists, I think I would install GNU Mailman instead
of clunky old Majordomo.

   http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html

- Robin