FW: [LINK] WCIT2002 Community Forum
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:45:20 +1030
I promised I would get back to you as quickly as possible with some tech
comments and hear are some early ones.
1. The criticisms of the WCIT front page (re requiring flash animation,
no alternate text etc) are exactly right. I offer the partial excuse
that it is not ours but as a non-techo the mistake is mine for not
sending people the direct link to the Community Forum at
http://www.worldcongress2002.org/public/get_involved.asp, which does not
rely on flash and is accessible to most browsers. Please give us a
second chance, list members, and have another go at getting involved.
2. As for accessibility within the Community Forum, the basics appear to
be covered; there are alt tags on images, links separated by non-link
3. The pages within the Community Forum print fine for others so we are
not sure what that problem is about.
4. As for pages opening in new browser windows, the site logic appears
to be that a new window will open if you are moving into a different
section of the site, otherwise links open within the same window.
5. As for security issues we are not quite sure what is meant here
unless people are referring to the browser auto loading a different page
to the one specified (moving from the initial page to the home page)
without the user's explicit consent, which doesn't seem to us a major
6. As for speed, yes, it contains a lot of text and graphics but that
does not make it impossible to read using a slow link, just slow, which
goes with the territory with this type of forum and chat interaction.
Let's not extend this too much further but let me say that we have all
learned an enormous amount from this experiment in trying to open the
'hallowed halls' of IT and our future ventures will be the better for
it. I will also pass on any other tech comments from our end that come
Thanks for your patience and I'll try not to be so thin-skinned at the
end of a long day in future :-)