[LINK] Here is a first: unknown attack vector can affect most MS Windows
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 18:50:40 +1000
Mysterious Hack Attack Strikes Windows Users
The source does not appear to be a worm or a virus.
By Becky Worley, Tech Live
Print Printer-friendly format
Email Email this story
Microsoft posted a mysterious alert on its product support services (PSS) page.
The alert warns of a hack attack that locks out users, installs backdoor programs, and
gives an attacker remote access via IRC. Tonight's "Tech Live" reports.
Some IT managers say the hack is also installing a key-logging program onto infected
computers. Oddly, the source of this attack doesn't appear to be a worm or a virus.
But the sudden increase in reports of the attack has convinced the PSS that the attack
Since the method of infection is still unknown, Microsoft says antivirus programs do not
protect users from the attack.
Here's a list of affected systems:
* Microsoft Windows 98
* Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
* Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
* Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
* Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
* Microsoft Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition 4.0
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
* Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
* Microsoft Windows XP 64-bit Edition
* Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services
linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
(email@example.com put this on Tshirts in '93)
For Link list information see http://sunsite.anu.edu.au/link/