[LINK] It's that worm again

Andy Farkas andyf@speednet.com.au
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:25:06 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, David Boxall wrote:

> Doomsday scenario:
> Five years hence, a billion unsophisticated users with always on
> broadband connections, running insecure software that they don't know
> they have, let alone how to secure it.  A worm is released.
> Microsoft says there isn't a problem, for "the average home user".

Another worm is bound to be released - I'd put money on it. Especially
considering that there are still unpatched vulnerabilities[0] lurking in
their software.

A likely vector would be the "WMP Stench" bug - it allows remote execution
of any file a perpetrater chooses to upload to the victim's box.

[0] <http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/>

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas