[LINK] Finally up to date on the Shuttle

Frank O'Connor foconno1@bigpond.net.au
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:56:17 +1100

My thoughts on the shuttle generally coincide with what I've seen
here ... with a few added musings:

1. A lot of the uses to which the shuttle has been put didn't really
require it ... more often than not launching satellites, telescopes
etc etc could have just as easily been done by cheaper (even on a per
launch basis) and more safe unmanned boosters

2. The shuttle program currently absorbs the lions share of NASA's
budget - even after 22 years.

3. The shuttle is 1960's/70's technology, horrendously complicated,
and comprised of literally millions of parts that are basically
sub-contracted to the lowest bidder.

4. Vertical launch technology may have been the go in 1970, but
sitting 7 people on top of a million parts, and a hydrogen bomb's
worth of rocket fuel and expecting things to go right every time
isn't realistic. The VL part of the shuttle concept is what incurs
the most expense, the most risk and the most danger.

5. HOTOL (Horizontal take off - jet-ramjet-rocket - horizontal
landing) and other alternatives are much more viable now, much
cheaper in terms of fuel loads and the like, much more efficient and
theoretically much safer, and can theoretically carry higher payloads
as less on-board space needs to be devoted to fuel.storage.

6. In terms of time between launches, preparation time and effort,
cost-per-launch, actual rather than projected re-usability and
convenience/efficiency the shuttles have not exactly had a stellar
record. I mean if they had been Boeing airliners, airlines would have
given up the ghost years ago as carriers of people or freight.

7. NASA's main kudos over the last 30 years has been gained from
robotic and probe based missions.

I was not a shuttle fan from the moment I saw the concept on paper
... it seemed like a lot of very complicated fuss and bother to get
stuff into low orbit then (even if the economics NASA put to Congress
had panned out), it absorbed too much of the budget that could
otherwise have been devoted to exciting stuff like Lunar and
planetary manned missions, it never postulated being able to do more
than build limited size orbiting space stations (and to date we have
how many?) and in many ways the technology wasn't even on par with
the Apollo technology that they wanted to shut down.

Since the shuttle NASA has largely become an inefficient low orbit
hauler with very few what I'd call great achievements.

I suppose I'm a bit of a romantic ... but I miss those days in the
60's when the Russian and US space programs made the whole world hold
their breath. When the world would stop and wonder and what was
achievable by us as a species if those brave men and women could do
what they did on an almost monthly basis. I remember seeing Sputnik
sail over Melbourne, those huge Russian Inergia boosters, Glenn in
the night sky, the massive Apollo boosters,  the day we all watched
the Armstrong and Aldrin and Collins land on the moon, Mariner and
Voyager during the 70's ... everything seemed achievable them. The
feeling was basically 'can do' and seriously idealistic.

The shuttle took a lot of that away from NASA (and the breakup of the
USSR effectively canned the Russian program) ... and for that I'll
probably always be a bit resentful. Then again, NASA may have decided
that it achieved it's raison d'etre after it had fulfilled Kennedy's
1961 commitment ... and just decided that something else was needed
to keep the budget intact ... so maybe blaming the NASA hierarchy
rather than the shuttle is the go.   :)

				Regards,