[LINK] Freedom of Expression (TM)

Malcolm Miles mgm-ns@tardis.net
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 19:46:42 +1100

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 19:07:51 +1100, you wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:57:47 +1100, Ash Nallawall wrote:
>
>>"Kembrew McLeod, an artist and assistant professor at the University of
>>Iowa, believes that "freedom of expression" -- or at least the phrase --
>>belongs to him, because he registered it as a trademark in 1998.

> He can't patent a term I used in Usenet in 1997 :-)

He didn't patent it, he trademarked it and then only in the USA.
Registering the term as a trademark gives him some protection from
others using the same term to market similar products.

It doesn't stop you using the term in Usenet or anywhere else as long
as you are not trying to sell a similar product as his in the USA.

--
Best wishes,
Malcolm