[LINK] The Age now uses "i" for "the internet"

Robin Whittle rw@firstpr.com.au
Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:09:31 +1100

I noticed this in the last few days.   I guess this goes for the Sydney
Morning Herald and other Fairfax publications and Web-sites.

I can feel the lights are going out around me!  I will keep the fires
burning!!!

I am in two minds about capitalising "Web".  There is one web because it
is the world-wide web - so it is properly "the Web".  But it is often
used as an adjective, and I often don't capitalise it then.

But "Internet" - implicitly the global, public, internet - is a proper
noun: it is "the Internet", because there is only one of them.

Furthermore, it is such a fabulous creation: electronics and
long-distance conveyance of information used at last on a
person-to-person, bi-directional, decentralised, unedited manner,
compared to the 19th and 20th century use of technology for the
centrally controlled, capital-intensive, unidirectional, distributive
mass media of the printing press, record and CD pressing, VCR
duplication, cinema, radio and TV.

   - Robin