[LINK] Freedom of Expression (TM)

Michael Lean m.lean@qut.edu.au

>>"Kembrew McLeod, an artist and assistant professor at the University of
>>Iowa, believes that "freedom of expression" -- or at least the phrase --
>>belongs to him, because he registered it as a trademark in 1998. And now
>>that AT&T is using the phrase in some print ads, he wants them to stop."
>>- Houston Chronicle

Does anyone remember a SF story - probably the 1960s - set in a world where
copyright inspectors walked around with listening devices strapped to their
bodies, and eavesdropped on conversations. If you were heard to use a
copyrighted word, the cash register went "ding" and the inspector put out
his hand for payment.
If anyone can recall this, I'd appreciate a source, as I want to use it in
a presentation.

cheers,
Mike

Michael M. Lean JP (Qual)
University Copyright Officer
Queensland University of Technology and Griffith University
Brisbane, Australia
Phone 07 3864 4024  Fax 07 3864 1823  Mobile 0438 589 181
CRICOS No. 00213J

"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing  as
simply messing about in boats."
                         Kenneth Grahame -The Wind in the Willows  1910

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...