[LINK] Censorship Issues..

Bob Bain bobb@soxkat.com
Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:19:46 +1100

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:54:00 +1100, I wrote:

> I have spoken with (1st. Janaury) the Hon. Ms Kelly, Member for
>Lindsay (Penrith) Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister.  She
>informs me that asking Penrith police to investigate similar material
>sold within the electorate of Lindsay (Penrith) is outside her charter
>as a Federal Member.

> If the police continue to ignore the open sale of such material and
>if a resident of New South Wales as senior as the Parliamentary
>Secretary to the Prime Minister isn't prepared to take an active
>personal interest in criminal activity in the electorate there are I
>believe grounds for censorship law (based as it is on "community
>standards") to be re-evaluated and reviewed.

 =========================

 The following is the transcript of an unpublished letter to the
Sydney press.  I believe in freedom of expression and note that the
Link list permits such freedom of expression and accordingly post it
here.  I don't expect the mainstream press to take up matters of truth
and there is nothing that goes beyond the bounds of truth in the
statements I make.

 I would like to comment that I'm not involved in a "campaign against
illegal porn" as some seem to believe.  Someone expressed this
recently via email "I have no interest in your campaign against
illegal porn" while commenting that I should not give in to
intimidation.

 I do however have a campaign against "the illegality regarding the
sale and distribution of adult material in the State of New South
Wales" together with some reservations with regard to certain types of
material that infringe on personal privacy.

 ======== quote from unpublished letter ================

 On the 27th September I lodged an anonymous report with Crime
Stoppers noting that adult retail outlets in New South Wales are
regularly (and have been regularly) selling material that violates the
ban in New South Wales regarding "X" rated or unrated material.
(Report Number ICIR-7377).

 My prime consideration in rasing the issue was out of concern for
material that infringes personal privacy such as "Hidden Camera"
material which is either routinely classified as "X" by the Office of
Film and Literature Classification (eg "Peepshow Special Volume 2") or
sold as unclassified or seemingly falsely classified from video
outlets in New South Wales.

 I have raised this issue a number of times with my local Member of
Parliament the Hon. Jackie Kelly MP, Member for Lindsay and
Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister.

 On the 19th December 2001 the Director of the Office of Film and