[LINK] OT: Howards anti-terrorist mailout

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@austarmetro.com.au
Sun, 09 Feb 2003 22:30:24 +1100

Here's my bitterly cynical view of the anti-terrorist mail-out.

Howard is a superb and cunning politician. He knows how to use fear to
garner support and prolong his stay in power.

The fear pack is just another weapon in Howard's arsenal of election
gadgets.

He has used the fear factor before (Gun control, children overboard) and is
using it again. Unfortunately, as a professional politician, the only
battle he knows is against other politicians. As a leader of the country,
representative of the people and potential agent of change for good, he
falls well short.

John Howard comes across to me as only interested in power for its own
sake. I do not remember him espousing any sort of future that would bring
benefits to the average Australian.

I cannot make sense of anything coming out of the USA. Bush, Powell,
Rumsford, Cheyney... the message is inconsistent, illogical, short on
common sense and lacking in coherence.

Tony Blair seems to have fallen for the Thatcher plot - any war against a
weak opponent is a good war - for votes.

The world is not a pleasant place just at the moment. I just wish that if
Australia is to fight for anything, it fights for something that reflects
the value system of its people, not a sad old politician who doesn't seem
to have a drop of humanity in him.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
-- Shakespeare, (Julius Caesar, Act I, Scene II)

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn
Canberra Australia