[LINK] OT: Howards anti-terrorist mailout

James Pearce james.pearce@zdnet.com.au
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:03:00 +1100

> On 10 Feb, Chris Maltby wrote:
>
> > Actually, I'd prefer it if they chose a foreign policy which
> > reduced the risk of Australia becoming/remaining a target.

I disagree with this sentiment. If something is right, we should do it,
whether it increases our chances of becoming a target or not. The attitude
that we shouldn't do something because it may result in some attempted
attack on Australia is 'bugger you, I'm allright thanks Jack" on a national
level. That's not really a country I want to be a part of.

We should not support unilateral action against Iraq by America and allies
because-despite the fact that Saddam should not be running a country-America
has never overthrown a government and replaced it with a better one. They
have always been worse. I'm hoping Afghanistan will be different, but it's
too early to tell.

James