[LINK] OT: Howards anti-terrorist mailout

Jan Whitaker jwhit@melbpc.org.au
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:53:36 +1100

At 11:40 AM 10/02/03 +1100, Chris Maltby wrote:
>The whole thing is (as mentioned) a political stunt - the
>government is _seen_ to be doing something (anything). My
>guess is that this one has mostly backfired...

Agreed, not only backfired, but certainly ridiculed.  The good ol' Aussie
fridge magnet is what got 'em.  And will anyone ever forget:  Be alert, not
alarmed?  It's now gotten into the other areas of public discourse, as I
heard someone on TV the other day use the same phrase for something
completely unrelated to terrorist threats, but can't recall what the guy
was talking about.

And I agree with the better use of the money to support SES personnel.  I'm
still not convinced there would be available health services if we truly
had a major event in Melbourne without risking lots of lives of people who
weren't even party to the disaster.  It could truly be a Bali in if the
numbers of injured were 10 fold to Bali, e.g. >1000.

Jan

JLWhitaker Associates
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit@melbpc.org.au  --  http://member.melbpc.org.au/~jwhit/whitentr.htm