[LINK] TinyURL

jeff.evans@iird.vic.gov.au jeff.evans@iird.vic.gov.au
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:00:19 +1100

Paul

SnipURL   < http://snipurl.com/ > does have a privacy policy, and also has
the ability for users to make their "snipped" URLs  private
(username/password). If someone's already "snipped" that address you can
copy the short link to your buffer with a click. This sort of Web
application is heartening to see - although I wonder about their business
model and hence longevity...

>From SnipURL's privacy policy:
"we reserve the right to disable any URL that we suspect is a misuse of our
services...We have a policy of ZERO TOLERANCE for spam and using "snipped"
URLs for illegal purposes such as spamming is strictly forbidden. If
unbecoming use of SnipURL for such purposes is discovered or reported, we
will bring the responsible senders to the attention of all relevant ISPs
and to the several anti-spam bodies include Spamcop, Abuse.net, Cloudmark
etc. We will also bar the websites so used from being included in snipped
URLs. Don't make us do it! Thanks. "

I also like the ability to use a bookmarklet (see also <
http://snurl.com/o6t>) to Snip the page you're on.... doesn't work on
"framed" sites though. Also you need to disable your popup disabler to
run...  SnipURL has an animated demonstration of their bookmarklet: <
http://www.snipurl.com/SnipThis.htm>

Regards

Jeff Evans
Manager, Business Channel (acting)
Business Information Services
Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development
Victoria, Australia
Ph 03 9651 9590 Fax 03 9651 9725
Email jeff.evans@iird.vic.gov.au
http://www.business.channel.vic.gov.au
http://www.businessaccess.vic.gov.au
http://www.export.vic.gov.au
http://www.ecommerce.vic.gov.au

                    Paul Day
                    <bonfire@bur.s       To:
                    t>                   cc:     link@www.anu.edu.au
                    Sent by:             Fax to:
                    link-bounces@a       Subject:     Re: [LINK] TinyURL
                    nu.edu.au

                    10/02/2003
                    07:13 PM

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Ash Nallawalla wrote:
> > The long URL is a worry, perhaps we are all being tracked? ;-)
>
> Try http://tinyurl.com/

Call me a sceptic, but I wonder how much of their money is actually made
by donations. I notice they don't seem to have any sort of a privacy
policy and this would be a good way to generate consumer stats on apges
visited.

PD

--
Paul Day     Web: www.bur.st/~bonfire

Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development
Department of Tourism, Sport and the Commonwealth Games
Government of Victoria, Victoria, Australia.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain privileged and
confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
distribute or reproduce this e-mail or the attachments.

If you have received this message in error please notify us
by return e-mail.