[LINK] Outlook E-mail Security Update

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:00:42 +1000

...which begs the question "why does the new feature impose obsolescence on
previous products?"

This is not Microsoft-specific; the entire software industry is guilty of
it. It's also the only industry which can say "we know you bought your
product 12 months ago, but it won't work any more because we don't want it
to". Chicanery rules ... probably the best argument for open source software
is that the code isn't the repository of value; which means that to get
someone to >buy< something, you have to actually give them something in
return.

Probably the COTS software industry is the only place in the world where you
can say:
"Here's something new to buy."
"What do I get?"
"The product you already bought won't stop working."

Richard Chirgwin