[LINK] OT: Howards anti-terrorist mailout

James Pearce james.pearce@zdnet.com.au
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:07:39 +1100

Please try to read what I actually write and not what you think you can
argue against. I won't let you get away with knocking over a straw man.

I have never claimed the argument against war with Iraq rests on those
opposed to the war being cowards. However, ONE of the arguments that has
been continually brought up, on this list and elsewhere, is that by
supporting the US we increase the danger to Australia. If we allow this one
argument to go unchallenged, it can set a dangerous precedent for future
debates.

If the Australian Government was convinced to stay out of a war with Iraq,
not because the war was unethical but because it increased danger to
Australia, then in a future situation where it may be ethical to act the
government wouldn't, because of fears of increased danger to Australians.

Ironically, the very paragraph of mine you quoted was the one where I
pointed out that the countries which do not support the US stance hold their
opinion because of factors other than fear. Try reading it again.

James