[LINK] MS to speak at NY OS Con

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline@decisions-and-designs.com.au
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:29:00 +0800

At 08:06 AM 02/11/2003, RC wrote:
> >From Newsforge:
>http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/02/09/2138247.shtml?tid=51
>Microsoft has scored another speaking post at an open source conference.
>
>Interesting; given the NOIE conf, it may be that we're seeing the start of a
>strategy. Mind you, it's a high-risk strategy; you can assume that some of
>the delegates will be sufficiently intelligent to ask the sorts of questions
>whose answers will look bad in print...

The NY OS con was robustly discussed on the OpenOffice.org [Marketing]
list. Some luminaries of Free and Open Source dropped in to continue the
discussion. Browse from message 5741 (Feb 2003) if you are interested:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=dev

In addition to the NOIE conf, there are the MS "Competitive Hour" sessions
during Feb/Mar around Australia, see:
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/partner/events/currentevent.asp

Leon has compiled an article comparing Shared Source and Open Source:
http://linux.org.au/~leonb/articles/picking-up-your-marbles.html
(Leon organised the Education mini-conf prior to LCA2003 last month.)

The article has been slashdotted:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/10/1213257&mode=thread&tid=109

There appears to be a number of people gathering pertinent questions to
seek answers at appropriate venues.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)