[LINK] OT: Howards anti-terrorist mailout

Richard Archer rha@juggernaut.com.au
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:13:15 +1100

At 12:05 +1100 11/2/03, Adam Todd wrote:

>And 661 Children died in the CARE of the NSW Department of Community
>Services in the last 12 months.

Adam, this is complete nonsense. As a self-professed expert in the
operation of DoCS I would have expected you to know better. And when
making such a claim your obvious excuse of "oops, used the wrong number"
is absolutely inexcusable.

In the 12 months to June 2002 there was a total of 616 registered deaths
of people aged from 0 to 17 in NSW.

Of these, 271 were reported to the coroner.
And of those 75 were from families reported to DoCS.
And 22 were found to have died of natural causes.

An additional 11 children who died in transport accidents had an at
risk of harm report (which I assume has something to do with DoCS).

So, unless there has been in the last 6 months a slaughter of nearly 600
children known to DoCS (and I'm sure that would have made the headlines
in an election year!), a more accurate although certainly less emotive
statement for you to make would be:

"64 children with some previous contact with DoCS died of unnatural
causes in NSW in the 12 months to June 2002".

Reference:
http://www.kids.nsw.gov.au/publications/cdrtannualrpts.html

This makes me wonder just how much of the other rubbish you write
but which I don't have the inclination to research is just as flawed.

 ...Richard.