[LINK] Howard in the footsteps of Menzies

hartr@interweft.com.au hartr@interweft.com.au
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:16:47 +1000 (EST)

On 12 Feb, Russell Ashdown wrote:

> And, if the answers to these questions are not in Australia's self
> interest, can someone please tell me just why the prime minister of
> this country feels the need to embarrass us by kowtowing before the
> President of the US and his cabinet?

The answers to the questions you posed will definitely not favour our
national interest.

The answer to your last question is that by kowtowing to the US, it
allows LJH to strut on the world stage in front of the domestic
Australian audience - ie this is entirely a domestic, political issue.

Having seen on the news last night footage of the families farewelling
the latest batch of Australian service men and women about to be sent
overseas, I nearly cried. For LJH to risk their lives and subject their
families to the trauma of loss of a loved one for such morally bankrupt
reasons is unacceptable.

(I'd like to come up with a better word than unacceptable - but words
have failed me this time).

--
Robert Hart					 hartr@interweft.com.au
Strategic IT & open source consulting                +61 (0)438 385 533