[LINK] Howard in the footsteps of Menzies

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd@austarmetro.com.au
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:54:29 +1100

Russell Ashdown wrote:

> And, if the answers to these questions are not in Australia's self
> interest, can someone please tell me just why the prime minister of
> this country feels the need to embarrass us by kowtowing before the
> President of the US and his cabinet?

IMHO it's because John Howard thinks (and hopes) that it will help him stay
in power.

Most people live their lives and make key decisions within a personal value
system. It lets them distinguish between right and wrong, altruistic and
selfish behaviour and other moral and ethical issues.

The evidence I have seen of Howard and his decision making efforts don't
lead me to the conclusion that his value system is anything like those of
outstanding leaders.

It's the little things that give him away. His decision not to move into
the Lodge because he didn't want to disrupt his children's education became
invalid ages ago. Has he moved into the lodge recently?

Other "little" things include:

* Appointing a Church man as Governor General

* Framing of the terms of reference of the Constitutional
Convention/Referendum

* His claim that his most significant contribution to public life was the
"Simplified Taxation System" ie the GST.

* Letting the High Court divest itself of all women

* The mess that was the board of the ABC

* The reduction in quality of the Public Service

* There is a portrait in Kings Hall, Old Parliament house. It is surrounded
by portraits of other Prime Ministers, all in a similar style, dark
background, single figure. John Howard's is bright colours and includes Mrs
Howard. So much for tradition.

One might argue that he was not responsible for all these, but is
responsible for the "culture" of the government that has resulted in them.

--
Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that
goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn
Canberra Australia