[LINK] Give it a rest, mate!

Chris Maltby chris@sw.oz.au
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 17:25:26 +1100

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 02:33:24PM +1100, Bill D'Arcy wrote:
> It may, of course, be Howard indulging in self-preservation. The last
> Australian PM to strike a discordant note in the White House lasted eight
> months.

It's worth noting that that was also the last time that the US ambassador
in Australia was a State Department professional diplomat. The usual deal
is that each new administration rewards some big donor with a few pleasant
years in Canberra...

The current guy doesn't seem to have much of an appreciation of diplomacy.