[LINK] Howard in the footsteps of Menzies

Howard Lowndes lannet@lannet.com.au
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:06:36 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Ann Moffatt wrote:

> robert wrote
>
> "Having seen on the news last night footage of the families farewelling
> the latest batch of Australian service men and women about to be sent
> overseas, I nearly cried. For LJH to risk their lives and subject their
> families to the trauma of loss of a loved one for such morally bankrupt
> reasons is unacceptable."
>
> from the news today it seems like many of the military are opting out by
> refusing anthrax vaccine.

It also seems that some are being threatened with disciplinary action and
with being career retarded as a result.

I don't know just how far the Defence Act can insist on enforcing this
policy but it does seem like very poor planning that the vaccination was
not considered before they departed; mind you, it is probable that there
might have been refusal en masse had that been the case.