[LINK] Give it a rest, mate!

Jan Whitaker jwhit@melbpc.org.au
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 07:34:20 +1100

At 10:03 PM 11/02/03 +1000, you wrote:
>  "If there is a faint hope of this thing being solved without military
>force, that faint hope is for the whole world saying the same thing
>and saying it very loudly to Iraq - and most particularly the Arab
>states saying, 'mate, the game is up'."

At least this one is mild. "The game is up" would translate in America, and
probably other English speaking areas, and "mate" would at least be
understood in many places because of Crocodile Dundee movies, even though
the use of it is quite inappropriate.  That is bizarre, considering Howard
is talking 'to' an Enemy, Saddam Hussein, and he's calling him
"mate"?  What?  The leading supporter of 'mateship' as a given Australian
characteristic that means absolute support and connection with one's fellow
man?  Since when is SH JH's mate?

The one that really made my skin crawl was LJH saying 'dinkum' in a press
conference.  Now who do you think understood that?  Oh, right, the base of
voters for the ultra-conservative right who put him in office.  I'll
guarantee no one else in the world understood what he meant.  At least he
left off 'fair'. Maybe he thought that would make it better.

Jan

JLWhitaker Associates
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit@melbpc.org.au  --  http://member.melbpc.org.au/~jwhit/whitentr.htm