[LINK] 'World's biggest Luddite' in Telstra plasma TV row

Chirgwin, Richard Richard.Chirgwin@informa.com.au
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:57:15 +1000

>Heck, why
> didn't he/they just
> go to a TV store?

Because even for a cabinet member, the idea of forking out $10k for a
**television** which spends most of its time dark was just too rich.

Coming at this again, I guess it's also fair to say that the TV incident
demonstrates what the consumers have already demonstrated: digital TV is the
deadest of ducks. It's an incremental imporovement at an excremental price.

The consumer electronics industry has always known this to be the case;
remember that our "mandated obsolescence" regime for analogue TV was the
result of ten years of lobbying work. I know that a whole heap of really
good arguments about spectrum efficiency and digital quality were put. But
underneath it all was the burning desire to sell more stuff.

Even the minister didn't fall for this; despite his being able to easily
afford a digital TV, he didn't bother buying one. So now we have a genuine
assessment of digital TV - it's really nice, but only if you don't have to
buy one out of your own pocket.

Richard Chirgwin