[LINK] Howard in the footsteps of Menzies

Craig Sanders cas@taz.net.au
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:19:40 +1100

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 09:17:14AM +1100, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 12:41 PM 12/02/03 +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> >PS: i still wouldn't be in favour of Howard's actions if we were offered
> >a substantial bribe for Australian support....but i could at least
> >understand the motivation if there was something in it for Australia.
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the Free Trade agreement is no longer being
> [publicly] discussed?

i don't want a free trade agreement with america, either.  that'll be
just another version of the MAI, destroying Australia's ability to have
our own laws on, e.g., workplace health & safety standards, or ban
imports of undesirable products (including genetically modified
organisms).

a free trade agreement will be sold to us as a way for australian
farmers to get into the US market, and little details about the
destructive effect it will have on our national sovereignty won't be
mentioned.

australian farmers don't need to get into the US market.  what they need
is for the US to stop subsidising their farmers with hundreds of
billions of dollars every year - i.e. what they need is that most
mythical of economic ideals, the "level playing field".

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.