[LINK] FOI Act and Web-Site Design

Tom Worthington tomw2@ozemail.com.au
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 03:59:07 +1100

At 12/02/03 02:17, Roger Clarke wrote:
>Message sent to DoCITA, using its 'Feedback' facility:
>http://www.dcita.gov.au/Feedback/0,,0_1-2_1,00.html
>
>This is a very small box ...

I like that many otherwise bureaucratic stuffy organisations allow for
quick comments to be posted to their web site. Impose too many restrictions
and that will be lost.

>I can find no organisation chart on your site ...

Google knows where one is:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=site%3Adcita.gov.au+%22organisation+chart%22+&sa=N&tab=wi

>And is your site going to send me a copy of the text I've typed ... to
>record a date and time stamp so that I can follow it up later if you fail
>to answer me.

The sender can print a copy of their message and make a note of the time
and date.

>I suggest that you check with your lawyers, to see whether your site may
>be in breach of the Freedom of Information Act...

Might be more a privacy and general public service legislation issue.
Bureaucrats are supposed to date and file important correspondence.

Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington@tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617