[LINK] [OT] Peace Rally Sunday 16 Feb BRISBANE

Bob Bain bobb@soxkat.com
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 08:30:05 +1100

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 17:59:14 +1000, Russell Ashdown wrote:

>and the politicians so arrogant, that I have decided to "put my
>money where my mouth is" and attend the peace rally in Brisbane
>this weekend.  I urge all Linkers to examine their consciences and
>attend their nearest rally.

 That there will be war is a foregone conclusion.  It may or may not
be between the "west" and Iraq but as time progresses the
proliferation of nuclear weapons and weapons of mass destruction will
increase such that some form of nuclear exchange is more likely to
eventuate than not.  When it happens it may be conducted in a global
atmosphere of chaos and confusion.  The concern has long been that
terrorists will some day have access to nuclear weapons.  The scenario
of nuclear weapons moored in a harbour was first mooted by Einstein to
the President of the United States but is well within the bounds of
possibility in the 21st century...

 ======================

"This new phenomenon would also lead to the contruction of bombs, and
it is conceivable-- though much less certain--that extremely powerful
bombs of anew type may thus be constructed. A single bomb of this
type, carried by boat and exploded in a port, might very well destroy
the whole port together with some of the surrounding territory.
However, such bombs might very well prove to be too heavy for
transportation by air."

 ======================

 From a  Letter from Albert Einstein to F.D. Roosevelt
 August 2nd, 1939

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/presidents/nf/resource/truman/primdocs/ein39.html

 I don't believe he had Sydney Harbour in mind, but I think about the
possibilty from time to time.  I believe this is the fear that drives
those with war in mind and "containment" the driving force (and
perhaps oil).

Bob Bain
Sydney Australia
bobb@soxkat.com