[LINK] Censorship Issues..

Bob Bain bobb@soxkat.com
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:58:22 +1100

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:04:57 +1100, I wrote:

>  It's the call of the EFA and individuals concerned about privacy
>issues.

 One of the unrated movies (it is illegal in NSW to sell an unrated
movie) I took to the OFLC and in which they express no personal
interest can be found at:-

 http://www.candidcamproductions.com/productView.asp?Pid=36

 "Every year we receive lots of hidden camera footage from our
favorite peeping tom YOU! "

 Comments from privacy advocates welcome....

 If ordered from the US this movie would cost $US29.99 (about $60).

This and similar unrated material (or seemingly falsely rated
material) retails in VHS format in Sydney retail outlets for $AUS 20
and the number of similar titles on the shelves is increasing.

 Where does the privacy issue arise ?

  It arises from the fact that the distributors of material are
inviting consumers to contribute to future productions.

  If consumers take this literally they can be in heaps of trouble in
the criminal law courts.

 Is there a single "privacy advocate" able or willing to express a
personal viewpoint ?  I realise it requires ethical judgement and the
willingness to express a viewpoint that may or may not be popular....

 Silence is also an answer.

Bob Bain
Sydney Australia
bobb@soxkat.com